It's only 32 days until christmas and I love to get into the christmas spirit as early as possible, so I thought i'd make some gingerbread cookies!
I've never made them before but they turned out really well, crunchy on the edges and chewy in the middle, just how I like them - But the consistency depends on how you roll them, the thicker the cookie the better, so bear that in mind when you're rolling them out. Remember it's better to have 5 good cookies rather than 10 average ones.
- 350g of plain flour - extra for rolling out
- 3 Tablespoons of ginger
- 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons of black treacle
- 175g of brown sugar - I used demerara
- 125g of vegan butter - Get some extra for greasing the trays
- 50ml of rice milk - or a dairy free alternative
- Christmas cookie cutters
- Icing pens
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Get a mixing bowl and add your flour stir in ginger and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl cream your butter and sugar together
- Add your milk and molasses and stir/cream into the mixture.
- Fold in your mixture from the second bowl to the first bowl
- Roll the mixture into a dough and place on a floured chopping board/clean surface
- Get a rolling pin and roll out the mixture to your desired thickness
- Cut out the mixture with your cookie cutters
- Place them onto greased baking trays and put in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Create your christmas designs with your icing pens