Friday, November 14, 2014

Vegan Cheesy Rice Bake


If any of you follow my posts you'll know that if there's one consistent thing in all of my meals it's carbs...

But i'm always trying to think of new ways to incorporate them into my meals, I love risottos and I love pasta bakes so I thought why use those two things together? Well this scrummy recipe is the result, a vegan rice bake! So simple and easy to follow and make this would make the perfect lunch or dinner, I'm having the leftovers the next day! It's...

Cheesy, Creamy, Healthy and Cruelty free!


Ingredients:

  • 1 Bag of white rice - cooked
  • 50/100ml of boiling water
  • 1 Vegetable oxo cube (or preferred brand)
  • 1 Leek - chopped 
  • 1 Onion - sliced in medium size pieces
  • 4/5 Closed cup mushrooms - sliced
  • 1 Teaspoon of parsley or 1 handful of fresh
  • 1 Tablespoon of vegan butter 
  • 1 Tablespoon of flour 
  • 200-250ml of rice milk
  • Half a packet of vegan cheese, grated (I cut them into cubes but this didn't allow the cheese to break down enough so I recommend grating) - I used this brand
Method:
  • Get a wok and add your vegetables with the boiling water and crumble in your stock cube 
  • Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes
  • Once that's done add the cooked rice to the heat and turn to a low heat 
  • Get a saucepan and add your butter and flour, stir for a few minutes on a medium heat
  • Add your milk, stir constantly to avoid lumps press the lumps up against the side of the saucepan to break them down 
  • Once the sauce has thickened take it off the heat, if lumps remain sieve it, add your grated cheese and stir in
  • Get a roasting tray and add your rice and vegetables from the wok - if too much water remains in the wok just drain it, but a little bit doesn't hurt
  • Pour the cheese sauce over and mix in 
  • Pop in the oven for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment